Friday, January 2, 2009

The First Post

So, for some reason I agreed to keep a blog for the supposed benefit of the law school whilst in Hong Kong next semester.  However, I've never kept a blog before, and have, in fact, derided the blog as an unfortunate innovation that makes it far too easy for - and, in fact encourages - people who labor under the delusion that their opinions matter to share those opinions with the entire world.  That's not quite what I'm trying to do here.  Last time I was in China I kept people up to date via periodic emails to a distribution list of people who had expressed interest.  This time, though, I'm putting my reservations about blogging aside and trying it out, primarily as a means to stay in touch with people I know, not to disseminate the contents of my mind across the internet (because I don't think anybody really wants that to happen).  So, in the interest of getting the hang of this before arriving in Hong Kong, and before I start blogging for the law school, I'm starting a bit early.

So, this will hopefully provide semi-regular updates on my activities abroad, for anyone who cares to read it.  If you don't care, then don't read it.  Feel free to post - I think I've enabled that option, but I'm still figuring this thing out.  A brief rundown of my upcoming whereabouts:

Until January 5: Nashville
January 5 - 9: Orange County, CA (where I have it on good authority that there are "peeps on call," whatever that means)
January 10: arrive in Hong Kong

That's all for now.  Happy New Year!

N.B.: This blog is not the blog I'm keeping for the law school.  Some posts may be identical, others will not be.  I'm keeping this one as well because a third-party administrator has to approve all my posts before they're published on the school's blog - understandable, but cumbersome; also, the law school might not be very interested in, or particularly happy about, some of my activities (i.e. missing class to go backpacking in Laos, etc.).  It may be that keeping two blogs at the same time, even if there's some content overlap, will be a little more than I'd like to handle.  So, we'll see how this goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment